Sunday, February 24, 2008

musical rant

Ever wonder how someone as young as Norah Jones can deliver such sexy, seductive songs? I mean, is this just an innate ability? Are some people born with a carnal knowledge of what "works" in the areas of men to women or women to men?



Come away with me was not written by Norah, in fact I don't think any of the songs on the album of the same name were written by the artist. So does that mean the producer was really the mastermind of the entire project? Putting the right voice with the right piece of music. Truly, this album is magic. And of course I'm really dating myself by using the word album in the first place!!! The CD is magic, but for we old timers, how great would this album be crackling and popping on an old 45? There's just a little more soul when the sound isn't too perfect.



What would all of those old albums sound like crackling and popping in tiny ear buds being delivered through mp3 players to the 16 year olds of today? Personally my memories almost all revolve around cassette tapes. How many minutes of my life did I give up to recoiling a tape back into the cassette.??? surely an hour of my life which I'll never get back.



Music is just one of those things which makes life worth living. If it's Norah Jones on an MP3 player or John Cougar*(yes, before he was John cougar Mellencamp) on your turn table...music makes the majority of my memories come back to me with such clarity.



Think of your favorite artist, then one of their best songs--did you just go back to one of those magical memories?

No comments: