Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Renovations are hard work...

I don't know about you, but when I set about to work on a project--I have a hard time stopping until I see at least a little bit of it come together. For instance, this weekend, the DH and I decided to demo the tile in our front foyer--ok, I decided and DH knew he had to help. We (I) thought the demo would take about half a day, we'd prep the floor, and be cutting tiles to lay Sunday morning. I'm guessing you know what I'm about to say next...

As soon as we started trying to get the tile up we knew something was wrong. I mean, this stuff wasn't budging. We rented a professional, air power driven tile chiseler, and all it did was pulverize the stuff. In the end, we ended up getting further smacking the tile with a hammer. What we came to realize was that the tiles had been laid with some sort of "super glue" which wasn't about to budge!

The next piece of the project was to pull up the tile's foundation bed--which was plywood over the sub-floor. Plywood is not the correct material anymore--now we all use backer board, but this house is over 30 years old, and there's no way to know how long that tile's been down. So plywood, here we come. Except that, did I mention, the plywood was nailed to the sub floor EVERY TWO TO THREE INCHES APART. I have done some demo in my time, but this was the worst. Every nail had to be pried up...and did I mention the super glue that was still ON the plywood COVERING most of the nails??? Yikes!

We did demo ALL day Saturday, and until 3 pm on Sunday. By 8:30 Sunday night I had all of the backer board cut, fit, and on the floor--but Steve nor I had any energy left to screw through the concrete board into the sub floor.

So here we are, 2 days after we thought we'd at least have the tiles down...maybe not grouted, but down...with nothing but backer board on the floor. I'm starting to wonder when I'll ever have the guts to finish this!

Did I mention it's only 210 square feet?

No comments: